Employers are actively seeking new ways to reduce health care costs without jeopardizing their ability to attract and retain workers. These factors have prompted many organizations to actively promote health and wellness at the work site. According to a survey released by Buck Consultants in 2011, 74% of responding employers in North America said they now offer wellness programs, providing incentives to encourage healthier lifestyles among employees. As an example, Johnson & Johnson reported that it spends $4.5 million each year on its comprehensive preventive-healthcare programs, but it estimates that without these programs its medical bills would be at least $13 million higher.
Organizational Benefits of Employee Health Education
By providing education to employees specifically on how to improve eating habits, reduce stress, and increase healthy lifestyle activities like exercise, your organization will experience the following benefits:
- Reduction in chronic disease – up to 80%!
- Decreased healthcare costs – one example sites a 2% reduction in the first year alone!
- Reduced absenteeism
- Increased productivity
- Increased employee morale
- Enhanced workplace culture
- Attract more talented employees and experience less turnover
As a certified Health Coach, I facilitate an Employee Health and Wellness workshop. This workshop includes education on how to implement better nutrition and life choices to create a healthier life, produce a more efficient day, and reduce stress in the work environment. It serves as a first step in allowing you to improve workplace health, and therefore experience many of the benefits described above.
The workshop is a fun and informative forum for the discussion of healthy living. I utilize an interactive approach to facilitate active learning and individual empowerment. This approach allows participants to engage in discussion and interact with other attendees through various exercises and brainstorming. Participants also receive valuable giveaways to take with them, furthering their knowledge after the workshop.
The workshop is one hour in length and may be presented at multiple times to allow for the varying schedules of your employees. A small group format of 25 to 30 participants is recommended per workshop session. In this workshop, participants will learn:
- The current state of health in the US
- Foods and lifestyle approaches that cause poor health
- The effects of sugar on health and energy
- How to make better food choices at work and at home
- How to improve lifestyle, including exercise and relaxation
- Ways to efficiently take action towards achieving goals
- Options for having ongoing support after the workshop
Benefits to Employees
Educating your employees about healthy food and lifestyle choices, stress reduction, exercise and eating for sustained energy will provide the following benefits:
- Improved overall health
- Improved nutrition and healthier eating habits
- Reduced stress and anxiety
- Fewer food cravings
- Increased energy and vitality
- Increased daily satisfaction
The workshop fee is $400 per hour session. Multiple sessions are priced at a discounted rate based on the number of attendees per workshop. This fee includes all materials and handouts.